Lawyers who Excel.
For more than seven decades, Bernstein Shur has counseled municipalities and private clients on local property taxation, property valuation, and assessment. Businesses, developers, municipalities, and not-for-profit entities rely on our team of nationally respected attorneys for guidance in how property will or should be locally assessed for property tax and economic development purposes.
View our attorneys in this practice
Business Restructuring & Insolvency
Land Use & Environmental
Municipal & Governmental Services
Clear communication and information-sharing between taxpayers and assessors are crucial to establishing a property’s fair and just assessment. To ensure careful and collaborative solutions to assessment challenges, we flex our Excel muscles and dig into the details of each unique assessment scenario. We pride ourselves on being math geeks and paying attention to the numbers. And while we practice preventative law, making every effort to resolve disputes and avoid unnecessary litigation, we have the proven record of success to litigate to the highest courts.
Our client partnerships run the gamut and our experience in property taxation is diverse, which means that we can develop creative yet practical strategies that not only satisfy our clients, but also help them preserve important local relationships. Whether you are a municipality, electric power generator, shopping center, industrial/manufacturing business, residential development, charitable or scientific institution, or homeowner—we have a tax solution for you.
We know that developers are increasingly attuned to the impact of property tax costs. We’ll collaborate with you prior to construction to make project valuation for property tax purposes a keystone of your development process. Our approach encourages clients to be proactive with local municipalities, enabling them to anticipate and manage future tax obligations. We also work to reduce local tax uncertainty and provide important data for use in requests-for-proposals and economic development programs, such as tax increment financing.
We assist private and public clients with property tax abatements, exemptions, and valuation analysis and appeals concerning municipal property taxation. We’ve litigated many of Northern New England’s largest abatement proceedings, and collectively, we have decades of experience representing clients before all levels of the appeals process, including before the local municipal assessor, Boards of Assessment Review and County Commissioners, specialized State Boards of Property Tax Review, Superior and Trial Courts, and State Supreme Courts.
We have a deep, interdisciplinary bench. We are an associate member of the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO), and our team leader serves on the IAAO Task Force on Contracting for Assessment Services and routinely lectures across the country on emergent property tax issues facing municipalities, businesses, and homeowners.
- Renewable Energy Generators, including wind, solar, hydro, biomass, & cogeneration
- Electric Power Generators
- Generation Leads & Transmission Lines
- Public Utility Infrastructure
- Battery & Storage Properties
- Commercial Properties, including New & Legacy Shopping Centers
- Industrial & Manufacturing Properties
- Residential Properties, including Condominiums & Apartment Buildings
- Tree Growth & Current Land Use Properties
- Taxable Personal Property
- Properties Exempt from Taxation
Our practice includes:
- Assisting public and private clients in property tax assessment and discrimination challenges before local assessors, appeal boards, the State Boards of Property Tax Review, and in courts
- Counseling national and international companies to develop tax strategies that ensure company assets receive a fair and equitable assessment for local taxation purposes
- Partnering with local counsel to review and draft pleadings
- Review of appraisal reports and valuation studies for use in abatement and other proceedings
- Assisting taxpayers and municipalities with assessment-related information requests