A great development in land use.
Whether you’re a developer, municipality, or individual, it can be hard to navigate the tricky labyrinth of local, state, and federal environmental and land use laws. Fortunately, our hardworking team of land use attorneys can make your life a lot easier.
View our attorneys in this practice
We’re tireless when it comes to helping our clients find smart, strategic ways to overcome increased regulatory oversight, stagnant markets, and other challenges the space presents.
We provide start-to-finish counsel on developing environmentally suitable projects, helping with everything from navigating complex environmental regulations and project permitting to managing large due diligence projects during a merger or acquisition. However, we’re not only technically proficient in everything related to land use development; we’re also savvy about the best ways to cut through red tape and get things done. For example, we regularly use our deep—and for some of us, firsthand—knowledge of the municipal, state and federal regulatory processes to help property owners obtain timely and cost-effective approvals for development projects.
When we take on your project, you’re not just getting a powerful team of environmental and land use attorneys (though you’re definitely getting that). If necessary, you’ll also benefit from the interdisciplinary expertise of our litigation, real estate, tax, transactional, municipal, engineering, governmental relations, and regulatory groups—not to mention access to our in-house title company, which makes title insurance a breeze. Having a seamlessly coordinated, interdisciplinary team at your fingertips is good for your project and good for your budget.
Our goal is to serve each client’s land use needs efficiently and effectively, and to that end, we love coming up with creative solutions that help you avoid or mitigate conflicts. That said, we also have the skills and experience it takes to protect your interests against anti-development groups in court.
Case in point: We recently won a rare reversal by the Board of Environmental Protection of a permit decision by the Department, and then successfully defended that decision when it was later challenged in court. It’s a great example of what we do best: protect our clients’ interests where the rubber meets the road.
- Real estate developers
- Individuals purchasing property
- Individuals or businesses building on their property or changing the use of their property
- Sellers/purchasers of contaminated property
- Individuals and entities who have suffered a discharge
- Environmental and architectural consultants
Our practice includes:
- Permitting new developments and subdivisions
- Permitting due diligence related to mergers and acquisitions
- Zoning determinations for purchase of real estate
- Real estate due diligence and development permitting
- Environmental compliance
- Representation before municipal boards
- Representation before the Land Use Planning Commission
- Landowner/neighbor disputes
- Permitting counsel for ownership transfers of existing developments
- Endangered species compliance and litigation