Meet Nathan, energy transactions authority, philosopher, and distinguished community leader.
207 228-7235 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
- The Best Lawyers in America ®2021
Real Estate Law
- Chambers USA, Lawdragon, and Super Lawyers
- AV Preeminent® – Martindale-Hubbell
- Conservation Hero Award, National Park Service
- Regional Citizen of the Year, Greater Portland Council of Governments
- Meg Baxter Award, United Way Foundation
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Nathan is an incredibly thoughtful energy attorney—he used to study and teach philosophy, and constantly strives to learn new things to inform his practice. From the get-go, he has been consistently expanding his practice in large-scale transactions, starting with waste-to-energy, then adding biomass, later hydro, and now wind. And he doesn’t stop there—he also trains the next generation of lawyers as an adjunct professor at the University of Maine School of Law.
A natural-born community leader, Nathan brings his effective negotiation skills and creative problem-solving ability to his public sector work as well. He’s been the mayor of Portland, Portland city councillor, president of United Way, commissioner for the Maine State Housing Authority, and a member of the US Department of Homeland Security’s National Task Force on State and Local Funding on behalf of the National League of Cities—and those are just a few of his many achievements.
But that’s not all. Nathan is also very experienced in:
- Leveraging public sector experience in developing large, complicated projects in Portland
- Business buildings, estate properties, multi-family housing, subdivisions, and condominiums
- Commercial development projects
- The ins and outs of railroads
- Forestry and land conservation transactions
In his former life, Nathan was:
- Studying and teaching philosophy.
When Nathan isn’t working, he is…
Playing tennis, gardening, woodworking, or fixing up old cars. Nathan is also heavily involved with numerous community boards.
JD, Washington and Lee Law School, 1982, cum laude, Omicron Delta Kappa
MA, Philosophy, McMaster University, 1975
BA, University of North Carolina, 1971, Phi Beta Kappa
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
US District Court, District of Maine
Maine State Bar Association
Cumberland Bar Association
American Bar Association
Greater Portland Public Development Commission
Portland Charter Commission
Portland Public Library (President and Trustee)
Portland Economic Development Plan Task Force
Portland Trails (President and Co-founder)