Meet Matt, a leader in public and private sector labor and employment law.
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Matt is the co-chair of Bernstein Shur’s Labor & Employment Practice Group, assisting the firm’s public and private sector clients in a wide range of labor and personnel matters. Dedicated to his clients, Matt provides practical, effective counsel on all aspects of the employer-employee relationship.
Matt is a seasoned litigator with extensive experience representing employers, and regularly acts as an outside investigator for companies facing discrimination, sexual harassment, and civil rights claims. He also advises, represents, and acts as negotiator for management in labor disputes and collective bargaining matters.
But that’s not all. Matt has 20 years of experience in:
- Representing clients in the Maine state and federal courts, as well as at the administrative agency level, including the Maine Human Rights Commission and the Maine Labor Relations Board
- Serving as a mediator and conducting employer training on a wide variety of employment-related issues
- Providing counsel on civil rights matters, workers’ compensation discrimination and retaliation claims, and due process and employee leave issues
- Drafting and reviewing employment policies, as well as employment, non-compete, and separation agreements
In his former life, Matt was:
- A commercial fisherman for 11 years.
When Matt isn’t working, he is…
Serving on the board of the Portland Fish Exchange, or at home being a husband, father, and amateur handyman.
JD, Northeastern University School of Law, 1994
BS, University of Rhode Island, 1982
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
US District Court, District of Maine
US District Court, District of Massachusetts
US Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Maine State Bar Association
Massachusetts State Bar Association
Cumberland County Bar Association
International Municipal Lawyer’s Association
National Public Employer’s Labor Relations Association
MSBA Municipal Law Section (Co-Chair)
Portland Fish Exchange (Vice President)