Meet Jennifer, a dedicated attorney with a masters degree in public health and a wealth of experience assisting health care entities and providers in all specialties and sizes.
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with her.
Jennifer has been working in the medical legal field for most of her 25+ year career, representing a myriad of health care providers in numerous health care contexts. Her clients include individual providers, startup practice groups, small long-standing practices, and large facilities. The range of services and projects include almost every legal touchstone of health care delivery and every aspect of navigating the health care landscape.
- Assisting startup health care entities from the infancy stages of business planning to addressing corporate, regulatory, and operational hurdles
- Handling business transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, sales of health care practices, certificates of need, succession planning, and other separations from ownership or employment
- Advising on regulatory compliance, including but not limited to Stark and anti-kickback matters, as well as HIPAA and other privacy and security matters
- Licensing matters
- Addressing the corporate, structural, and governance aspects of health care entities
- Assisting with policies, procedures, and forms for health care providers and facilities
- Contract drafting and negotiation
- Counseling health care entities on employment laws and regulations
- Billing, collecting, and recoupment proceedings with government payors and private insurance companies
- Risk management
- HIPAA Compliance
- Electronic health records management
Jennifer appreciates that health care law is complex, and that it changes with industry demand and political and legislative pressure. Her diligence and commitment to staying on top of the evolving health care landscape, accessibility and responsiveness, and understanding of the demands facing sophisticated health care providers explain the long-term relationships she has forged with many of her clients. Additionally, her practical understanding of health care delivery and appreciation of the convergence of the practical realities of health care delivery with legal and regulatory requirements make her a sought-after counselor and advocate for health care providers. She prides herself on rendering efficient, common-sense advice and seeking simple resolutions in a world of increasing complexity.
Jennifer’s depth of knowledge and ability to advise health care clients stems in part from her masters degree in public health, which she pursued at Harvard during a sabbatical year from practice, and from her early years as a litigation attorney defending medical malpractice cases for professional negligence insurance carriers and the insured providers. Her unique training and experience sharpen her perception of nuances and ability to “see around corners” when advising on business, transactional and risk management matters.
But that’s not all. Jennifer is also very experienced in:
- Dispute resolution proceedings, including mediation through litigation on behalf of health care providers and other businesses
- Representing entities before agencies in connection with regulatory actions, including but not limited to behavioral health grievances and reimbursement and recoupment proceedings
- Advising insurance related entities (third-party administrators, claims adjusters, claims organizations, reinsurers) on health care coverage matters, reinsurance, contracting, licensing and other compliance matters
MPH, Harvard School of Public Health
JD, University of Maine School of Law
BA, Bates College
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
US District Court, District of Maine
Cumberland County Bar Association
Maine State Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association
American Health Lawyers Association
Maine Inns of Court