Meet Colby, a multi-state trusts and estates attorney. Colby is a lawyer admitted in Florida, Maine and Massachusetts. His practice focuses on all aspects of trust and estate planning, administration, conflict resolution and taxation.
207 228-7168 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
Trusts and Estates
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
An attorney admitted to practice in Florida, Maine, and Massachusetts, Colby focuses on all aspects of trust and estate planning, administration, conflict resolution, and taxation. Whether clients need assistance drafting wills, creating trusts, choosing powers of attorney, or resolving disputes surrounding trusts and property, Colby works thoughtfully and efficiently to help them realize their goals.
In addition to his work at Bernstein Shur, Colby served as an adjunct professor at the University of Maine School of Law, where he shared his expertise with up-and-coming attorneys.
But that’s not all. Colby is also very experienced in:
- Estate planning (drafting of wills, trusts, powers of attorney and other related instruments)
- Administration of estates and trusts
- General fiduciary representation (trustees, agents under powers of attorney, personal representatives, executors, guardians and conservators)
- Preparation of estate and gift tax returns
- Federal and state tax appeals and general tax controversies
- Dispute resolution representing fiduciaries, families, individuals or institutions involving the management or disposition of property in estates and trusts
- Serving as expert witness regarding trust and estate matters
- Representing owners of closely-held businesses in succession planning matters
- Antenuptial agreements
- Issues surrounding family compounds and vacation properties
- The establishment of tax-exempt charitable foundations and general advice regarding the management and administration of private foundations and other charitable entities
When Colby isn’t working, he is…
Enjoying family time with his wife (and colleague) Katy and their sons in the great outdoors.
JD, University of Maine School of Law, 2001
BA, Boston University, magna cum laude, 1997
Admitted to practice
States of Maine and Florida
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Maine State Bar Association (Past Legislative Liaison and Past Chair of Trusts and Estates section)
Cumberland County Bar Association (Past President)
American Bar Association
Maine Medical Center Planned Giving Committee
Maine Estate Planning Council