Meet Ned, a litigator specializing in intellectual property and dealer side automotive matters.
603 665-8844 direct
603 623-8700 main
603 623-7775 facsimile
Jefferson Mill Building 670 North Commercial Street Suite 108 PO Box 1120 Manchester, NH 03105-1120
Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Chambers USA (2022) – Litigation: General Commercial (New Hampshire)
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2023
Litigation – Intellectual Property
- New England Super Lawyer 2018 – 2022
- New England Super Lawyers Rising Star (2013-2017)
- New Hampshire Union Leader’s 40 Under Forty
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Ned takes and wins tough cases. As a litigator and a trusted advisor, Ned has guided his clients through their most complicated and difficult problems. He has won at trial. He has gotten cases dismissed on the papers. He has pierced the corporate veil to collect debts. And, he has made new law at the New Hampshire Supreme Court in order to protect his clients.
Ned’s areas of expertise include:
Trademark, copyright, and trade secret litigation
Ned has litigated “soft IP” disputes in state and federal district courts throughout the country, as well as before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. He frequently protects the rights of local brand owners and he has also defended infringement actions on behalf of large corporate clients. In addition, Ned has litigated matters involving trade secret theft on behalf of both large businesses and closely held corporations, as well as other complex business litigation matters.
Some of Ned’s recent work on trademark, copyright, and trade secret litigation include:
- Successfully defending a national online retailer of musical equipment through trial in copyright and trademark dispute. Ned is currently defending this case on appeal.
- Defended a German software company in multi-year ligation over alleged trademark infringement. This case ended with the negotiation of a favorable settlement.
- Obtained judgment and injunction on behalf of national roofing supplier in trademark infringement action.
- Required an infringing restaurant business to change its name in order to settle trademark infringement dispute.
- Required infringing energy business to change its name in order to settle trademark infringement dispute.
Automotive dealer representation
Ned has represented auto dealers and other equipment franchisees in the New Hampshire and Massachusetts courts, and before the New Hampshire Motor Vehicle Industry Board. He has represented dealers in termination protests, consumer litigation, products liability litigation, and regulatory matters. Ned has also assisted dealers with difficult business disputes arising amongst partners.
Some of Ned’s recent work representing automotive dealers includes:
- Representing multiple auto and equipment dealers in protest actions before New Hampshire’s Motor Vehicle Industry Board.
- Serving as outside general counsel for a New Hampshire-based auto dealership group.
- Partnering with the New Hampshire Automotive Dealers Association on an amicus brief to the New Hampshire Supreme Court in an insurance dispute on behalf of a body shop.
- Defending a publicly-traded national dealership group against consumer complaints and commercial litigation.
Non-competition agreements and other commercial litigation
Ned has frequently litigated matters arising from non-competition and non-solicitation agreements in the New Hampshire Courts, including the Business and Commercial Dispute Docket, colloquially known as the “Business Court.” He has represented both businesses seeking to enforce their rights and executives and former business owners accused of breaching their agreements.
Ned’s recent commercial litigation work includes:
- Representing a commercial laundry and linen company in a non-competition agreement and trade secret dispute with a competitor.
- Defending a software licensing company and its principals in a non-competition agreement and trade secret dispute with a former employer.
- Serving as outside general counsel defending all New England-based disputes on behalf of a publicly-traded private equity firm.
Ned is regularly asked to speak and publish thought leadership in the areas of intellectual property and commercial litigation, including recent publications in New Hampshire Business Review on NFTs and the Trademark Modernization Act, and presentations on behalf of the New Hampshire Bar Association on business litigation.
Ned maintains an active pro bono practice.
He is presently representing New Hampshire’s only inmate on death row in post-conviction proceedings seeking to vacate his capital sentence. Ned is also partnering on matters with the New England Innocence Project and the Human Rights Defense Center, which publishes the Prison Legal News.
Ned received his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law and following law school clerked for Judge Thomas M. Golden on the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Prior to joining Bernstein Shur, he worked at the Philadelphia headquarters of an Am Law 100 law firm.
He received his B.A. from Tulane University in New Orleans.
When Ned isn’t working, he is…
Serving on the New Hampshire Board of Bar Examiners and helping to plan the annual fundraiser for the Campaign for Legal Services. When he’s not at the office he enjoys spending time with his family, playing blues guitar, and listening to stand-up comedy.
JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 2004
BA, Tulane University, 2001
Admitted to practice
State of New Hampshire
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
US District Court for the District of New Hampshire
US District Court for the District of Massachusetts
US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Member, New Hampshire Board of Bar Examiners
Member, National Association of Dealer Counsel (NADC)
Member, New Hampshire Automotive Dealers Association (NHADA)
Former Chairman, New Hampshire Bar Association Business Litigation Section
Former Chairman, New Hampshire Bar Association Federal Courts Litigation Section
Former Chairman, New Hampshire Bar Association New Lawyers Committee
Member, Daniel Webster-Batchelder American Inn of Court Board of Directors
Member, New Hampshire Campaign for Legal Services Kickoff Event Planning Committee
Member, New Hampshire Campaign for Legal Services Leadership Council
Member, New Hampshire Federal Courts Advisory Committee
Member, New Hampshire Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Committee