Meet Charlie, former Bernstein Shur CEO, commercial real estate authority, and dedicated civic leader.
207 228-7218 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
Pro Bono Committee
- Recognized in Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America, and Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Real Estate Law by the American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
- The Chesley H. Husson Award for Leadership, Husson University
- The Edmund S. Muskie “Access to Justice” Award (Co-recipient)
- American Jurisprudence Award in Evidence, University of Maine School of Law
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
A natural-born leader with a passion for bringing out the best in his colleagues, Charlie was the CEO of Bernstein Shur from 2003 to 2013. For more than three decades, Charlie has represented entrepreneurs, companies, and institutional developers alike, helping them find ways to strengthen and expand their businesses. Today, he has a broad practice spanning every facet of real estate law and provides counsel on business, corporate governance, and succession planning.
Charlie is an experienced counselor and tireless advocate for clients, but it’s his personal dedication to others that sets him apart. He is incredibly accessible; he volunteers for a range of civic and charitable organizations; and he serves as a mentor, teacher, and friend to countless members of his community. It’s no wonder Charlie’s had some of his clients for his entire career.
But that’s not all. Charlie is also very experienced in:
- The full spectrum of real estate law, from acquisition, disposition, financing, and leasing to the management and development of properties
- Drafting complex leases and contracts for small and large offices, as well as retail, industrial, and mixed-use spaces
- Asset and stock sales and purchases
- Investment banker selection
- Formation of corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, joint ventures and other business structures
- Entity planning, and strategy and succession planning
In his former life, Charlie was:
An English teacher, debate coach, and guidance counselor in Central Maine. President Robert Clark of Husson University, commodities trader Erik Lehtis, financial entrepreneur Todd Robinson, and Father William Clark, SJ, professor at Holy Cross University have all been coached in debate by him.
When Charlie isn’t working, he is…
Serving on a number of community, civic, and charity boards (see the full list below) and helping those organizations plan and fundraise. Charlie also has plenty of musical talent; he’s a guitar player and a song leader. When not practicing or performing music, he can be found reading about politics or absorbed in a mystery novel.
JD, University of Maine School of Law, 1979, cum laude
Managing editor, Maine Law Review
EdM, University of Maine, 1973
BA, Colby College, 1969
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
US District Court, District of Maine
US Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Maine State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Cumberland County Bar Association
Temple Beth El (Past President; Endowment Chair; Investment Committee Co-Chair)
Maine Bar Foundation (Past Director; Coffin Fellowship Advisory Committee Co-Chair)
Jewish Community Alliance (Past President; Demographic State Committee Chair; Past Chair, Annual Federation Campaign; Strategic Planning Committee)
Pine Tree Legal Assistance, Inc (Endowment Committee Co-Chair)
Friends of Pine Tree Legal Assistance Committee
Gulf of Maine Research Institute (Director)
Muskie Fund for Legal Justice (Director)
Lex Mundi International Women’s Initiative Leadership Advancement Task Force (Immediate Past International Co-Chair); Managing Partners Committee (Immediate Past North American Regional Vice Chair)
University of Maine School of Law (Board of Visitors)