Meet Adam, a successful problem-solver and member of the business, restructuring and insolvency group.
Adam focuses on…
With experience in a broad range of industries, including healthcare, hospitality, food and beverage, manufacturing, retail, technology, transportation, and banking, Adam helps businesses and individuals accomplish their goals by working closely with his clients and their advisors to understand the specifics of each situation and provide creative, cost-effective solutions to complex problems, both inside and outside of the courtroom.
Solutions-Oriented Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Insolvency Practice
Adam’s bankruptcy and restructuring practice focuses on representing debtors, lenders, trade creditors, and many other constituents in chapter 11 reorganizations, business disputes and litigation, out-of-court restructurings, and numerous other matters. Adam’s recent bankruptcy experience includes serving as debtor’s counsel in multiple chapter 11 cases across northern New England and Delaware, including the following:
- Counsel to Vermont Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) debtor in chapter 11 healthcare case in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Vermont, which successfully confirmed a plan of reorganization in December 2020.
- Counsel to New Hampshire paper mills that successfully completed section 363 asset sale in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware in December 2020.
- Counsel to multiple Maine small-business chapter 11 debtors, including in hospitality, transportation, and logging industries, that confirmed plans of reorganization in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maine in 2020, including representing both debtors in the first cases filed in Maine under the Small Business Reorganization Act of 2019 (SBRA).
Litigation and E-Discovery
In addition to his bankruptcy and restructuring practice, Adam has handled numerous litigation matters in state courts, federal district and appellate courts, and bankruptcy courts. Adam has represented clients in litigation involving a broad array of business, commercial, and antitrust disputes, as well as litigating specific bankruptcy issues such as preference claims, relief from stay motions, fraudulent transfer lawsuits, and claim objections. In one recent matter, Adam was trial counsel to a trade creditor in a two-day trial at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts that resulted in a favorable judgment for his client on preference claims brought by a chapter 7 trustee.
As part of bringing creative and effective litigation solutions to his client, Adam also is at the forefront of electronic discovery technology and practices. As part of that commitment, Adam was a founding editor of Bernstein Shur’s E-Discovery Field Guide, and in the Spring of 2019, Adam was an Adjunct Professor at the University of Maine Law School, where he taught a course on Litigation and E- Discovery Practice.
In addition, Adam has experience advising clients on antitrust and competition matters, including from his time practicing at WilmerHale in Washington, D.C. before joining Bernstein Shur. Adam’s experience includes litigating Sherman Act claims and representing clients in civil and criminal antitrust investigations brought by the Department of Justice and state attorneys general.
Prior to joining Bernstein Shur, Adam was:
- A senior associate at WilmerHale in Washington, D.C., where his practice focused on complex litigation and antitrust matters.
- A law clerk to the Honorable Rudolph Contreras at the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
- While in law school, Adam interned for the Honorable Jon D. Levy at the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
JD, William & Mary School of Law, 2012, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif, Ranked First in Graduating Class
BS, Trinity College, 2009, Economics, with honors
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
District of Columbia
Federal District Courts
U.S District Court for the District of Maine
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont
Courts of Appeal
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Federal Bankruptcy Courts
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maine
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Vermont
American Bankruptcy Institute
American Bar Association
Maine Bar Association