Meet Phil, mastermind of land use, counselor of municipalities, and proud home cook.
207 228-7160 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
Municipal & Governmental Services Group
Land Use & Environmental Practice Group
Land Use & Environmental
Municipal & Governmental Services
Political Campaigns & Consulting
- Recognized as a New England Super Lawyers “Rising Star”
- Faculty Significant Achievement Award, University of Maine School of Law
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Having worked as an urban planner, as chair of the Portland Zoning Board, and inside state government, Phil is well acquainted with municipal and land use law. That experience, combined with his legal expertise, makes him extremely adept at counseling municipal officials and boards and obtaining land use approvals at local, state, and federal levels for real estate developers and property owners. And he’s just as equipped to help clients with health care-related issues: He helped pass health care legislation during his time as Governor John E. Baldacci’s senior legal advisor.
Whether he’s drafting legislation or helping clients solve seemingly intractable issues, Phil keeps his calm and level-headedness, and delivers efficient, thoughtful solutions.
But that’s not all. Phil is also very experienced in:
- All aspects of election law and Maine’s Freedom of Access Act
- Ongoing general counsel to municipal officials and boards, covering general administration, zoning, planning, enforcement actions, administrative and judicial appeals, and more
- Representing a wide variety of clients before the Maine State Legislature and other administrative agencies
- Drafting legislation and testimony
- Advising clients on campaign compliance election law, including government ethics requirements, political action committee formation and governance, and ballot question campaigns
- Securing permitting and contract zone agreements
In his former life, Phil was:
- Senior policy and legal advisor on health care and health insurance matters for Governor John E. Baldacci, as well as one of the governor’s legislative liaisons to the Maine Legislature
- Associate at Verrill Dana in Portland, Maine
- Law clerk for the Honorable John A. Woodcock Jr. of the US District Court for the District of Maine
- Urban/land use planner at Sasaki Associates, an international architecture and design firm
When Phil isn’t working, he is…
Cooking or brewing up a storm. He loves good food and beer, and even more when it’s homemade. Phil is a member of Board of Directors for the University of Maine School of Law Alumni Association, a member of the Board of Directors for The Children’s Center, and a former member on the Board of Trustees for the Portland Stage Company. He enjoys playing tennis, canoeing, and spending quality time with his family.
JD, University of Maine School of Law, cum laude
Editor in chief, Maine Law Review
BA, Vassar College
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
US District Court, District of Maine
Portland Zoning Board of Appeals (Past Chair, 2005 – 2012)
Maine State Bar Association (Co-chair, Municipal Section)