The best of health.
The health care attorneys at Bernstein Shur represent physicians and other health care professionals, physician group practices and associations, joint ventures, hospitals, nursing homes, home health care agencies, mental health agencies, pharmacies, and a wide range of other health care providers throughout northern New England.
The health care law group comprises a multidisciplinary team of attorneys from different areas within the law firm who all strive to meet the legal counsel, transactional and litigation needs of our clients.
Our health care attorneys provide counsel and defense regarding audits, investigations, complaints and licensure cases concerning substance abuse treatment programs, mental health agencies, residential care facilities, nursing homes and other agencies brought by Maine DHHS Division of Licensing and Certification and other state and federal agencies.
Our attorneys handle a wide array of business transactions related to health care practitioners, hospitals, agencies and facilities business needs.
- Retirement communities development and planning
- Negotiation of managed care contracts and third-party payor agreements
- Practice mergers and acquisitions
- Healthcare client transactional needs
- Fraud and abuse compliance planning
- Antitrust counsel and litigation
- Certificate of Need (CON) proceedings
- Assisted living facilities
- Nursing home transactions
- Corporate structure
- Bankruptcy and workout issues
- Leasing and real estate services
We provide representation of health care practitioners, agencies and others involving federal and state criminal investigations and prosecutions related to the provision of health care services and otherwise, including.
- Drug charges
- Fraud and abuse investigation and prosecution
- Other conduct related to health care services
- Other conduct not related to health care services
Our employment and labor attorneys provide advice to health care practitioners and providers concerning:
- Employment policies, practices and counseling
- Employment contracts
- Employee handbooks
- Employment litigation
- Wage and hour issues
- Sexual harassment counseling and litigation
- Pension, disability and other benefits
We represent physicians and other health care providers, hospitals, mental health and other agencies defend federal and state fraud and abuse audits, investigations and legal proceedings.
Fraud and abuse counseling and compliance for:
- Physicians (individual and group practices)
- Therapists and other health care practitioners individual and group practices
- Home health agencies
- Nursing homes
- Health clinics
Our health care law team provides legislative and regulatory counsel and lobbying services to health care agencies and provider associations.
- Legislative and agency monitoring
- Legislative and rulemaking strategy
- Legislative drafting
- Advocacy at the State legislature and before State agencies
- Political advice and counsel
Our health care lawyers represent physicians and other providers, hospital medical staffs, hospital administration and governing bodies in peer review investigations and proceedings, corrective action proceedings and other credentialing matters.
- Hospital and managed care organization peer review, credentialing reviews and corrective actions
- Hospital medical staff membership and bylaws issues
- Representation and counsel in fair hearings
We provide counsel and defense for licensure investigations and complaints by Maine and New Hampshire professional licensing boards for physicians, dentists and other health care professionals on issues, including:
- Investigations and subpoenas by licensure boards
- Defense of licensure complaints
- Impaired and recovering physicians and other health care practitioners
- DEA investigations and proceedings
- Medicare and Medicaid (MaineCare) audits
We provide counsel and advice to health care providers, hospitals and agencies concerning a wide range of practice issues, including:
- Confidentiality issues
- Management of patient records
- HIPAA issues
- State and federal agency investigations of physicians
- Mandatory reporting of child and elder abuse and neglect
- Subpoenas and release of confidential records
- Patient management
- Charting and billing issues
- Advanced directives
- Guardianship issues
- Computerization of health information
- Health professional ethics issues
- Risk management
- Medical malpractice defense
- Office systems and management counseling
We provide counsel and advice to health care practitioners, hospitals and agencies concerning many federal and state tax issues.
- Recognition of tax-exempt status
- Tax planning
- Relationships between non-profits and for-profit entities
- Compliance with federal tax rules applicable to Section 501(c)(3) organizations
- Tax planning concerning structure and operations
- Joint ventures and other relationships between non-profit and for-profit organizations
- Private inurement, private benefit and intermediate sanctions
- Unrelated business income tax planning
- Sophisticated charitable giving techniques
- Health care providers
- Physician practice groups
- Behavioral health centers, ambulatory surgery centers, and hospitals
- Provider networks