Research and Knowledge Analyst
Position: Research and Knowledge Analyst
Department: Office of Business Development, Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Business Development Manager
Office: Portland, ME
Bernstein Shur, a New England-based law firm that advises clients across the U.S. and around the world, is seeking a Research and Knowledge Analyst to work in its Portland, ME office.
The Research and Knowledge Analyst will be responsible for supporting the firm’s seven practice groups, as well as the Office of Business Development, Marketing & Communications by conducting a variety of research and analysis projects. The ideal candidate is detail oriented and adept at finding, understanding, and synthesizing complex data and information to inform strategic decision making at the practice group and firm levels. The Research and Knowledge Analyst will join an energetic team of business development, marketing, and communications professionals.
- Research & Information
- Responding to legal research requests from attorneys across the firm’s seven practice groups and summarizing findings in clear, concise, and comprehensive research reports.
- Managing a suite of research products and maintaining productive, positive relationships with research technology vendors.
- Creating and maintaining a budget for the firm’s suite of research products.
- Training lawyers and professional staff on the use of Internet-based legal research programs such as Westlaw, LexisNexis, and other intelligence resources.
- Conducting periodic reviews of new and existing electronic resources and technology, with an emphasis of improving research efficiencies.
- Maintaining books and files contained in the firm’s library.
- Competitive Intelligence
- Maintaining positive working relationships with the firm’s practice group leaders and developing a comprehensive understanding of the firm’s service areas and growth strategies to anticipate ongoing research needs.
- Conducting and summarizing research on current and prospective clients, geographic regions, industry sectors, and firm competitors.
- Monitoring and analyzing the legal and business landscape for developments or changes that are relevant to the firm, its practice groups, and/or the firm’s current and prospective client base.
- Partnering with other members of the Office of Business Development, Marketing and Communications team to isolate potential impacts of trends on the firm’s business and help develop actionable plans and campaigns.
- Working collaboratively with professionals in business development, finance, and technology to prepare, analyze and incorporate internal data and provide a holistic perspective on market opportunities and the competitive landscape.
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience using electronic research platforms, including but not limited to, LexisNexis, Westlaw, Docket Navigator, Manzama, Bloomberg Terminal, MonitorSuite, Pitchbook, Hoovers, D&B, Leopard Solutions, and/or other relevant competitive intelligence resources.
- An understanding of business intelligence tools (such as Tableau, Power BI, Qlikview, etc.).
- MLS or MLIS degree preferred but not required.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience managing and conducting business and competitive intelligence research, preferably within a professional services or corporate environment.
- Excellent research and writing skills, with a strong eye for detail.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize primary and secondary resources.
- The ability to synthesize large amounts of complex information into formal and ad-hoc reports that are easy to understand and help to inform key decisions.
- The demonstrated ability to utilize analytical and trouble-shooting skills.
- Strong customer service and relationship management skills.
- Curiosity and passion for problem solving.
- The ability to self-motivate and prioritize appropriately with the ability to manage incoming requests with deadlines ranging from a few hours to a month or more.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and an ability to learn new software and operating systems.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate: All Bernstein Shur employees are required, as a condition of employment, to show proof of their Covid-19 vaccination or their eligibility for an exemption under the firm’s vaccination policy.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Group life and disability insurance
- Financial wellness program
- 401K employer match and profit sharing
- 23 days PTO per year
- 11 paid holidays
- 16 weeks paid parental leave
- Mobile data reimbursement
- Free parking
ABOUT BERNSTEIN SHUR
Our 125+ award-winning attorneys and professionals are driven, dominant, and deliver results. The ideal candidate will have a growth mindset, strive to achieve the highest level of professional excellence, and thrive in an atmosphere that’s collaborative, authentic, and respectful. We have exceptionally high standards for everything we do, and we’re looking for high-energy candidates who want to make a big impact. We work together to continually raise the bar and put our clients’ interests first. In 2021, Bernstein Shur was named one of Maine’s Best Places to Work for the tenth time. It’s a reflection of our values and firm-wide commitment to create a culture that believes in diversity, flexibility, and family-friendly policies. Simply put, we desire to do great work—and have great lives.
Bernstein Shur is an equal opportunity employer.