Real Estate Abstractor Paralegal
Position: Real Estate Abstractor Paralegal
Reports to: Co-Managing Directors of Monument Title Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bernstein, Shur, Sawyer & Nelson, P. A.
Office: Portland, ME
Bernstein Shur, a New England-based law firm that advises clients across the U.S. and around the world, is seeking a seasoned Real Estate Abstractor Paralegal to work in its Portland, Maine, office.
The Abstractor Paralegal will join a team of nine professionals who provide title insurance and closing support services for commercial transactions throughout Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. The title insurance team is collaborative and supports the firm’s 12 Real Estate Practice Group attorneys and other firm attorneys in this highly specialized and demanding practice area. The ideal candidate is an experienced commercial title abstractor who is detail oriented and adept at finding, understanding, and synthesizing complex data to inform decision making.
This position is based in our Portland, Maine, office, but a hybrid work schedule can be arranged if desired.
- Searching, analyzing, and evaluating commercial titles, including historic, road and private way, and land dispute research.
- Sketching property descriptions and reviewing surveys.
- Communicating and collaborating effectively with employees at all levels of the organization and with clients of the firm.
- Working discretely with confidential information.
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- 3+ years of experience abstracting and surveying real estate.
- Ambitious, enthusiastic, positive can-do attitude and polished professional demeanor; a healthy sense of humor will be considered a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team on projects.
- Tenacious in meeting deadlines with a strong sense of timeliness, decision-making, and self-management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional research ability combined with sound analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Knowledge of terminology and title standards.
- Must be proactive, accountable, and have excellent judgment.
- Detail-oriented and able to work in a fast-paced environment while making very few errors.
- Must be adaptable to change and remain calm under pressure.
- Technologically savvy with expert knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite 365, Adobe products, and the ability to learn the firm’s document management and time keeping systems.
- A. or paralegal certificate preferred but not required.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate: All Bernstein Shur employees are required, as a condition of employment, to show proof of their COVID-19 vaccination or their eligibility for an exemption under the firm’s vaccination policy.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Group life and disability insurance
- Financial wellness program
- 401K employer match and profit sharing
- 23 Days PTO per year
- 11 paid holidays
- 16 weeks paid parental leave
- Mobile data reimbursement
- Free parking
ABOUT BERNSTEIN SHUR
Our 125+ award-winning attorneys and professionals are driven, dominant, and deliver results. The ideal candidate will have a growth mindset, strive to achieve the highest level of professional excellence, and thrive in an atmosphere that’s collaborative, authentic, and respectful. We have exceptionally high standards for everything we do, and we’re looking for high-energy candidates who want to make a big impact. We work together to continually raise the bar and put our clients’ interests first. In 2021, Bernstein Shur was named one of Maine’s Best Places to Work for the tenth time. It’s a reflection of our values and firm-wide commitment to create a culture that believes in diversity, flexibility, and family-friendly policies. Simply put, we desire to do great work—and have great lives.
Bernstein Shur is an equal opportunity employer.