Legal Assistant – Business Law
Bernstein Shur, Maine’s largest law firm, with offices in Portland and Augusta, Maine and Manchester, New Hampshire, is seeking an experienced and motivated legal assistant to support a team of successful commercial, securities and business law professionals. The position requires a resourceful and highly technically proficient professional to manage day-to-day administrative needs effectively and efficiently in the fast-paced environment of this amazing company known for its uniquely positive office culture. The successful candidate will be a proactive professional with exceptional organizational skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, able to exercise the utmost discretion and possess a positive, can-do attitude. The position requires someone who is highly organized and able to support, manage and facilitate the needs of the busy team of professionals.
- Actively manage complex schedules, agendas. Zoom meetings, calendars, travel, contact lists, and files.
- Navigate Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) website for research.
- Compose memos, letters, business agreements, closing documents, and other correspondence to internal and external audiences, as requested.
- Perform a variety of administrative functions, including opening of new matters, conflict checks, proforma and billing activities.
- Work closely and effectively with assigned professionals to keep them well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, schedule changes, and preparation needed for meetings, following up appropriately and anticipating needs.
- Manage day-to-day workflow while juggling multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Prepare presentation materials for meetings using MS PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, as and when requested.
- Quickly identify, prioritize, and resolve problems of a varying nature with minimal direction provided.
- Flexibility to assist with and work on a wide variety of assignments and projects.
QUALIFICATIONS – PERSONAL
- Ambitious, enthusiastic, positive can-do attitude and polished professional demeanor; a healthy sense of humor will be considered a plus.
- Tenacious in meeting deadlines with a strong sense of timeliness, decision-making, and good self-management discipline.
- Technologically savvy; highly proficient, expert knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite 365
QUALIFICATIONS – PROFESSIONAL
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior people/interpersonal skills.
- Keen ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with employees at all levels of the organization and with firm’s clients.
- Work discretely with confidential information.
- Must be proactive, accountable and have excellent judgment.
- Detail-oriented and able to work in a fast-paced environment while making very few errors.
- Must be adaptable to change and remain calm under pressure.
- All candidates must be fully vaccinated as Bernstein Shur adheres to all CDC guidelines.
3-5 years of previous experience in corporate or commercial law. Securities, commercial lending experience, a plus.