Director of Attorney Recruiting
The Director of Attorney Recruiting is responsible for all attorney recruiting initiatives at the firm. The Director of Attorney Recruiting will design, implement, and evaluate all attorney recruiting initiatives to align with the firm’s strategic plan and goals, and will coordinate such efforts with the firm’s attorneys and staff in both Maine and New Hampshire. This role requires a high degree of emotional intelligence, a vast knowledge of hiring and recruiting procedures within the legal industry, the ability to build a cohesive team and strong partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
The Director of Attorney Recruiting will chair the firm’s Hiring Committee and will serve as a member of the firm’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee.
- Formulate, administer and maintain attorney recruiting policies, operational procedures and practices consistent with the goals and objectives of the firm;
- Oversight responsibility for the attorney hiring efforts of the firm, including law student recruiting, and lateral hiring for both ME and NH;
- Assist in formulating and executing strategies for lateral recruiting, including developing an in-depth understanding of the legal markets in ME & NH;
- Establish and maintain the firm’s due diligence standards related to attorney hires;
- Work with the firm’s CEO to prepare offers, ensuring uniformity of all offer materials;
- Oversee onboarding and offboarding for all attorney hires and departures;
- Chair the firm’s Hiring Committee;
- Oversee hiring for and operation of the firm’s Summer Associate Program, including the firm’s participation in the Maine Diversity Summer Associate Program;
- Serve as a member of the firm’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee;
- Incorporate diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives into all aspects of firm’s attorney recruiting program;
- Coordinate with Practice Group Leaders to assign new lawyers to practice groups and practice rotations;
- Coordinate with Practice Group Leaders to create a draft “Individual Development Plan” for new associate hires, to include anticipated short-term and long-term training needs;
- Actively assist with succession planning for key individuals and practice groups, and implement recruiting strategies targeted to the firm’s attorney succession needs;
- Develop professional relationships and serve as liaison with selected law schools, law student groups, and bar associations;
- Prepare annual recruiting budget and manage budget to actual spend throughout the year;
- Supervise and collaborate with the Legal Recruiting Coordinator.
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree plus 10 years of work experience in legal recruiting, talent management or other related human resources discipline, preferably in a law firm or professional services environment. Juris Doctorate strongly preferred;
- At least 5 years of high-level management experience and a proven track record of effectively leading a team; experience working in a law firm or law school is a plus;
- High degree of emotional intelligence;
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, including excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, strategic and innovative thinking, and ability to persuade and influence;
- Executive presence, tenacity, integrity and professionalism that will engender confidence with attorneys, administrative leadership and prospective candidates;
- Outstanding relationship-building skills with the ability to collaborate equally well with senior administrative leaders, shareholders, associates, and staff across the firm;
- Excellent written, presentation and oral communication skills;
- Highly organized with ability to work independently and as a team player;
- Outstanding commitment to providing excellent client service and the highest quality work product;
- Strong attention to detail;
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint), using CRM systems, and social media platforms;
- Familiarity with legal services provided throughout the firm, to enhance recruiting;
- Ability to travel occasionally post-pandemic based on the needs of the position;
- COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate: All Bernstein Shur employees are required, as a condition of employment, to show proof of their Covid-19 vaccination or their eligibility for an exemption under the firm’s vaccination policy.
ABOUT BERNSTEIN SHUR
Our 125+ award-winning attorneys and professionals are driven, dominant, and deliver results. The ideal candidate will have a growth mindset, strive to achieve the highest level of professional excellence, and thrive in an atmosphere that’s collaborative, authentic, and respectful. We have exceptionally high standards for everything we do, and we’re looking for high-energy candidates who want to make a big impact. We work together to continually raise the bar and put our clients’ interests first. In 2021, Bernstein Shur was named one of Maine’s Best Places to Work for the tenth time. It’s a reflection of our values and firm-wide commitment to create a culture that believes in diversity, flexibility, and family-friendly policies. Simply put, we desire to do great work—and have great lives.
Bernstein Shur is an equal opportunity employer.