Business Restructuring and Insolvency Paralegal
Bernstein Shur, Maine’s largest law firm, with offices in Portland and Augusta, Maine and Manchester, New Hampshire, is seeking an experienced and motivated bankruptcy litigation paralegal. The paralegal’s primary focus is to provide outstanding support to a dynamic bankruptcy practice group with a national practice. This position will assist with bankruptcy and litigation matters as well as other areas as needed. The position requires a resourceful and highly technically proficient professional to manage bankruptcy litigation projects effectively and efficiently in the fast-paced environment of this amazing company known for its uniquely positive office culture. The successful candidate will be a proactive professional with exceptional organizational skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, able to exercise the utmost discretion and possess a positive, can-do attitude. The position requires someone who is highly organized and able to support, and facilitate the needs of the busy team of professionals.
The following is an overview of specific responsibilities:
- Extensive electronic filing capability and knowledge of the Federal Bankruptcy court filing procedures and policies.
- Preparation and filing of proofs of claim and supporting documentation.
- Preparation and review of exhibits for depositions, attachment to pleadings.
- Assemble, review, and analyze documents.
- Prepare and organize materials for hearings, including binders.
- Draft motions, notices, certificates of service and related documents.
- Assist with the gathering of information and preparation/review of bankruptcy schedules and statements
- Calculate, calendar and track deadlines.
- Manage information obtained during discovery; maintain and organize files in Document Management System (DMS)
- Prepare Excel charts, spreadsheets and other summaries of various types of information.
- Communicate with clients, opposing counsel, clerk’s office personnel and others
- Conduct basic research (legal and non-legal) and prepare clear, concise memoranda
- Provide administrative support for attorneys as necessary and other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATION – INTERPERSONAL
- Ambitious, enthusiastic, positive can-do attitude and polished professional demeanor; a healthy sense of humor will be considered a plus.
- Tenacious in meeting deadlines with a strong sense of timeliness, decision-making, and good self-management discipline.
- Technologically savvy; highly proficient, expert knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite 365 including Excel, DMS, Pacer and ability to use State and Federal filing software. Experience using NextChapter and Eclipse SE is a plus.
- A Bachelor’s degree or paralegal certification with a minimum of two + years of bankruptcy (consumer or commercial) or litigation paralegal experience.
- Must have superior writing and oral communication skills.
- Must have ability to pay acute attention to detail; proofreading is must.
- Great team player, enthusiastic, proactive, and self-directed.
- Outstanding organizational skills and excellent judgment.
- Must be flexible with schedule and time requirements to meet deadlines and needs of the Bankruptcy PG.
- Transaction legal experience a plus.
- All candidates must be fully vaccinated as Bernstein Shur adheres to all CDC guidelines.