Business Development Manager (“BDM”)
The BDM’s primary focus is to drive business development and market visibility for the firm, industry and practice groups, and offices to grow the firm’s top line revenue from existing and new clients. The BDM conducts research and analysis to identify new business opportunities including new markets, growth areas, trends, consumers, services, or new ways of reaching existing markets. This position works collaboratively with practice leads and attorneys to create business plans, supports implementation, monitors progress, and tracks key performance indicators and return on investment.
- Work with relevant practices and attorneys to expand existing client relationships and develop new client relationships based on knowledge and research.
- Understand the sales cycle and assist attorneys with lead development, pitching, and follow-up. As part of this process, understand how to develop materials that are targeted and supportive of the sales process. Must be comfortable with targeted asset development and cross-functional content production.
- Collaborate across departments in collecting and implementing firm data in conjunction with tech platforms to report on financials and effectively forecast client development activity and planning.
Marketing & Profile Raising
- Work with practice group leader/section leads to develop, document, and implement the strategy for profile raising and market visibility across relevant practice areas, including events, sponsoring conferences, and sourcing speaking engagements.
- Work collaboratively with our Marketing team to increase exposure and position attorneys across industry outlets in support of key business development priorities.
- Respond, assist with drafting, and monitor submissions for attorney/firm directories, listings, and recognition surveys such as Chambers, Best Lawyers, and others.
- Collect and maintain experience catalogue for online assets and printed collateral to reflect current standings.
- Drive content creation and distribution for representative matters and in-depth studies on relevant industry topics.
- Collaborate with Marketing to ensure accuracy of mailing lists.
- Assist Attorneys with development of individual business development plans and monitor progress.
- Prepare business development communication materials, presentations, and business proposals.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher with 5+ years of work experience in business development, preferably in a law firm or professional services environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with quick turn-around time and high expectations for attention to detail and quality of work product, while managing multiple, often competing, priorities.
- Must possess outstanding commitment to providing excellent client service and the highest quality work product, be self-motivated, responsive, and a team player.
- Ability to partner with attorneys and develop consultative role/advisory relationship, including the ability to influence.
- Ability to operationalize a plan that includes attention to detail and the ability to execute through to completion.
- Strong analytical abilities to study industry and market trends, data, and client financials.
- Ability to work productively as part of a diverse team embodying varying communications styles.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, presentation and verbal communication skills.
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in using CRM, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and social media platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a professional manner with colleagues at all levels of the firm and with firm clients.
- Ability to travel occasionally post-pandemic based on the needs of the position.
This job description is a general overview of the responsibilities of the position.