Meet Wendy, real estate aficionado and skilled litigator.
207 228-7361 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America for mortgage banking foreclosure law
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with her.
Wendy joined Bernstein Shur in 2000 and is an attorney in the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group. Her practice encompasses a broad range of real estate matters, including foreclosures, title insurance litigation, workouts and she regularly appears in courts throughout the state.
Wendy also handles real property sales and acquisitions, secured party sales and related UCC transactions, lease and other real estate litigation. She is an expert in collections and judgment enforcement matters, including the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act, as well as assisting the firm’s municipal clients with municipal lien and judgment enforcement. Wendy is experienced in all aspects of public housing and housing choice voucher issues, with over 25 years of practice in commercial and residential landlord-tenant law with an emphasis on public and subsidized housing landlord issues.
But that’s not all. Wendy is also very experienced in:
- Sorting out landlord-tenant differences relating to leases, contracts, evictions, money collections, mortgage foreclosures, and title insurance
- Negotiating mortgage workout agreements, contracts, and leases, and resolving creditor and debtor payment conflicts
- Working with institutional lenders, borrowers, and businesses on documentation and restructuring of transactions, and collection procedures
- Litigating the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act and the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act
- The particularities of perfecting and enforcing security interests in the Uniform Commercial Code
- Advising banks, small- to medium-business sales forces, commercial and residential landlords, and commercial litigators concerning collection strategies, bounced checks, avoiding bankruptcy, landlord-tenant relations, and more
In her former life, Wendy was:
- An attorney at Lambert Coffin, and before that, Cope Law Firm
- In-house counsel at Recoll Management and later at Fleet Bank
When Wendy isn’t working, she is…
Often presenting at conferences and seminars on various subjects for the Maine Municipal Association, Maine Rural Water Association, Tri-State Housing Conference, and local landlords and housing authorities. Wendy has also volunteered her time with the Legal Food Hub, and the Maine Homeless Legal Aid Program.
In her spare time Wendy enjoys her potter’s wheel, working in her gardens, and loves to cook any challenging recipe she can get her hands on. She also enjoys hiking, biking, snorkeling and kayaking.
Maine Association of Assessing Officers,“Personal Property Lien Procedures” (September 2016)
MRWA – “Lien Enforcement” (12/4/2012)
77th MMA Convention – “Foreclosure Procedure in Maine and the Zombie Title” (10/3/2013)
MRWA – “A Trustee Training” (12/10/2013)
Tri State Housing Conference “Current & Evolving Fair Housing Tenant Issues” (9/16/2015)
MRWA Convention “Personal Property Lien Procedures” (9/7/2016)
MMA Convention “Acquiring Properties With Unpaid Taxes (10/6/2016)
Tri-State Conference “Deadly Challenges” (9/2017)
MRWA “Navigating the Future – Liens and Foreclosures” (12/2017)
Maine Legislative Committee, “Victims in Housing”.
JD, University of Maine School of Law, 1990
BA, Mount Holyoke College, 1983
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
Maine State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Pine Tree Society (past President and Board of Directors)
Maine Judicial Branch Commission on Foreclosure Diversion (March 2009 – January 2010)
Falmouth Board of Zoning Appeals (2014-2016)