Meet Steve, ERISA pro and musician.
207 228-7128 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2022
Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Chambers USA 2022 – Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Super Lawyers
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Steve is a tax attorney who specializes in employee benefits, executive compensation, and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). He works with employers of all stripes—including health care entities, businesses, nonprofits, municipalities, and individuals—on ERISA requirements and liabilities, Maine Public Employees Retirement System (MEPERS) compliance and controversies, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) transactions, as well as the tax and ERISA implications of mergers and acquisitions.
Before becoming a lawyer, Steve worked a number of different jobs, which gives him firsthand insight into a range of industries and helps him think more broadly about clients’ issues. Whether he’s focusing on compensation work, Affordable Care Act compliance, employer-sponsored savings vehicles, or anything else, Steve is thoughtful, perceptive, and determined to find business-savvy solutions.
But that’s not all. Steve is also very knowledgeable about:
- The effects of ongoing changes in health plan regulation, employee benefits, and the bottom line
- Counseling employers on flexible benefit plans, deferred compensation arrangements, split-dollar arrangements, health and life insurance plans, and stock-related compensation arrangements
- Advising employee benefits brokers on compliance issues affecting their businesses and their clients
In his former life, Steve was:
- A financial planner with American Express
- A research coordinator for the Anesthesia Department at Maine Medical Center
- Manager of a chain restaurant
When Steve isn’t working, he is…
Singing classical counterpoint with the Portland-based group Renaissance Voices.
LLM, Boston University, 2009
JD, University of Maine School of Law, 2006, cum laude
Articles editor, ME Law Review
BA, Psychology, University of Rochester, 1983
Admitted to practice
State of ME
United States Tax Court
Maine Employee Benefits Council (Board of Directors)
Maine State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Renaissance Voices (Past President)