Meet Shana, tax increment financing ace and four-time national ultimate Frisbee champion.
207 228-7134 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
Diversity & Inclusion Committee
Land Use & Environmental
Municipal & Governmental Services
Property Tax and Valuation
- Ranked AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named New England Rising Star 2014 by Super Lawyers
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with her.
With expertise across municipal law, development, and public finance, Shana helps municipalities make the most of scarce resources and works with private clients to turn development plans into a reality.
Holding a master’s in public administration with a focus on finance, Shana brings insight on the public entity’s perspective to every project—and regularly conducts projections to demonstrate the property tax implications of new development projects. It’s no wonder Shana was instrumental in creating Maine’s first-ever transit-oriented tax increment financing (TIF) district and has one of the most active TIF practices in Maine.
But that’s not all. Shana is also very experienced in:
- Working with municipalities on property tax matters, zoning issues, and amending ordinances
- Serving as bond counsel on matters such as tax-exempt leases, Maine Municipal Bond Bank issues, public and negotiated sales, and post-issuance compliance
- Advising financial institution clients on trustee obligations in connection with corporate trust transactions, including tax-exempt and taxable bond issues, refunding issues, escrow agreements, and redemptions
In her former life, Shana was:
- A public policy researcher and analyst at an economics and management consulting firm in Boston.
When Shana isn’t working, she is…
Serving on the board of the Multiracial Adoptive Family Collaborative and being part of Bernstein Shur’s “Street Law” program. Otherwise, she’s playing ultimate frisbee (she’s a world champion), or running and cycling around North Yarmouth, Maine, where she lives with her husband and two daughters.
JD, University of Connecticut School of Law, 2006
MPA, Department of Public Policy, University of Connecticut, 2006
BA, Sociology, Brown University, 1999, honors
Admitted to practice
States of Maine and New Hampshire
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Federal District Court of Maine
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Maine State Bar Association
Multiracial Adoptive Families Collaborative