Meet Sara, a veteran education lawyer and an experienced and impartial investigator in complex misconduct matters.
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with her.
Since her graduation from law school in 2007, Sara’s practice has focused on providing practical, client-focused advice and counsel to colleges, universities, and K-12 institutions. Having served as counsel to educational institutions and individuals, Sara is knowledgeable in all aspects of school law, including civil rights, special education, and labor and employment. Sara has extensive experience representing public and private sector education clients on a variety of matters and has handled claims before the ME Human Rights Commission and the federal Office for Civil Rights.
Impartial Investigator and Title IX
Since joining Bernstein Shur in 2016, a significant portion of Sara’s practice has been serving as an impartial, external investigator in complex and publicized misconduct matters throughout the country. Sara is often asked to serve an impartial external investigator for misconduct complaints involving students, faculty, personnel, coaches, and athletes. Sara serves as a neutral investigator/adjudicator for several schools and institutions throughout the country. Sara is an approved sexual misconduct investigator by United Educators.
In addition to receiving extensive training on sexual misconduct investigation, Sara has conducted and overseen hundreds of misconduct investigations involving all manner of issues, including discrimination, harassment, bullying, and sexual misconduct. Sara also provides consulting services and training on responding to harassment and misconduct and conducting thorough and impartial investigations to school administrators throughout New England.
Sara has dedicated her skills to volunteering hundreds of hours of pro bono legal service to the community and received the Katahdin Council Award from the ME Supreme Judicial Court for her efforts in 2013. Sara is a proven and passionate advocate for her clients.
But that’s not all. Sara is also very experienced in:
- Defending employers in discrimination, harassment, and retaliation cases before the ME Human Rights Commission and Equal Opportunity Commission
- Working with colleges, universities and public and private K-12 institutions on preventive training, policy development, compliance issues, and crisis management
- Advising education clients, both private and public, on general employment matters
- Providing guidance to education clients regarding special education and other civil rights matters
- Drafting handbooks, policies, and procedures for businesses in accordance with employment laws and best practices.
In her former life, Sara was:
- A labor relations manager at the University of Southern ME
- An associate at a local law firm
- A Spanish teacher
When Sara isn’t working, she is…
Enjoying the great outdoors. Sara is an avid cyclist, skier, and runner.
JD, University of ME School of Law, 2007, magna cum laude
BA, Middlebury College, 2000, cum laude
Admitted to practice
State of ME
State of Vermont