Meet Pat, former history teacher and current champion of education and employment law.
207 228-7306 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
Education Practice Group
Labor & Employment
Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Nonprofit and Tax Exempt
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers, and Chambers USA for her work in labor and employment law and education law
- Rated AV pre-eminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Deborah Morton Award, University of New England Women in Industry Award
- L. Kinvin Wroth Award as the Distinguished Alumna of the Year, University of Maine School of Law
- Special Recognition Award, Women’s Law Association of the University of Maine School of Law
- Take a Stand Award, The Holocaust and Human Rights Center of Maine
- Justice Louis Scolnik Award, American Civil Liberties Union of Maine
- Distinguished Service Award, American Civil Liberties Union of Maine
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with her.
Pat is the chair of Bernstein Shur’s Education Practice Group and practices in all areas of employment and labor law, with an emphasis on the needs of colleges, universities, and secondary schools. Her experience in the educational system is difficult to overstate: Pat was a teacher for 15 years, has represented the University of Maine System for over 25 years, and serves as general counsel to the University of New England.
Diligent in keeping up with academia’s most pressing issues, Pat offers thoughtful, pragmatic advice on everything from admissions policies and tenure standards to bullying and sexual harassment. As a member of Bernstein Shur’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group, she has extensive experience representing clients in court, as well as in front of administrative agencies.
But that’s not all. Pat’s also very experienced in:
- Advising colleges, universities, and secondary schools in matters regarding contract compliance, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, and legal issues for advisors and teachers
- Counseling management in compliance issues under state and federal law, including the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII, and Title IX
In her former life, Pat was:
- Teaching at a private secondary school in Baltimore, followed by the Phillips Exeter Academy in Exeter, New Hampshire
When Pat’s not working, she’s…
Volunteering with the American Civil Liberties Union of Maine, perfecting her golf swing, or engrossed in a puzzle, usually of the wooden jigsaw variety.
JD, University of Maine School of Law, 1988, cum laude
MA, European History, University of Minnesota, 1970
BA, Wilson College, 1968
Admitted to practice
States of Maine and New Hampshire
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
US District Court, Districts of Maine and Massachusetts
US Court of Appeals, First Circuit
US Supreme Court
Maine State Bar Association
American Trial Lawyers Association
National Association of College and University Attorneys