Meet Kevin, a dedicated attorney and down-to-earth Mainer.
207 228-7131 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
Municipal & Governmental Services
Property Tax and Valuation
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 “Ones To Watch”
- Chambers USA 2022 – Energy & Natural Resources
- Faculty Scholastic Achievement Award for graduating first in the class – University of Maine School of Law
- Law Alumni Association Award – University of Maine School of Law
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Kevin brings thoughtful focus, an open mind, and a practical nature to help clients navigate regulatory and transactional matters involving energy project development and public utilities. He represents and advises generation facility developers, independent transmission developers, asset owners, renewable energy companies, and utilities in project development and regulatory compliance matters across New England. Clients rely on his experience for a wide range of renewable utility-scale and distributed generation projects, including solar, wind, and biomass facilities. Kevin negotiates and drafts key energy project contracts, particularly where knowledge of underlying regulatory requirements is critical, and he draws on experience in commercial and administrative litigation to resolve regulatory proceedings and project disputes.
As a member of the firm’s Property Tax and Valuation Team, Kevin counsels private and public clients in property tax abatement cases and appeals, including those involving large retail and industrial sites, power plants, commercial personal property, and nonprofit and tax exempt properties. He also represents several municipal boards of assessment review during property tax appeals.
But that’s not all. Kevin is also very experienced in:
- Advising generation and transmission clients on wholesale energy and capacity markets, state and regional interconnection processes, and ISO/RTO tariff compliance
- Conducting regulatory due diligence for transactions involving energy facilities
- Representing clients before public utility regulators in connection with utility reorganizations and acquisitions, competitive energy procurements and RFPs, cost of gas, tariff revisions, sales and leases of utility property, and rulemakings
- Administrative and municipal litigation before state agencies, municipal bodies, and courts, including assessment and abatement appeals, Rule 80B appeals, declaratory judgments, and constitutional challenges
In his former life, Kevin was:
- Law Clerk to the Honorable William J. Kayatta, Jr., of the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- A legal intern for the appellate division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office and for the Honorable Jon D. Levy of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court
- Providing communications and policy research support to legal aid and juvenile justice organizations in Maine and Massachusetts
When Kevin isn’t working, he is…
Serving as Vice President on the Board of Directors of Furniture Friends, enjoying craft beer, reading or listening to audiobooks, rooting for the New England Patriots, and spending time with wife, son, and their adopted boxer Charlie.
JD, University of Maine School of Law, 2014, summa cum laude
Articles editor, Maine Law Review
AB, Dartmouth College, 2008, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court, District of Maine