Meet Helen, a perceptive securities attorney and devoted skier.
207 228-7284 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
Private Capital Practice Group
Financial Regulation & Compliance
Food and Beverage
Mergers & Acquisitions
- 2018 New England Super Lawyers Rising Stars – Business and Corporate Law
- 2017 New England Super Lawyers Rising Stars – Business and Corporate Law
- 2016 New England Super Lawyers Rising Stars – Business and Corporate Law
- 2015 New England Super Lawyers Rising Stars – Business and Corporate Law
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with her.
Driven by a desire to help businesses create, grow, and scale, Helen enjoys advising entrepreneurs on how to raise capital so that they can execute their business plans. She is dedicated to getting a deal done, loves learning about new ideas, and takes pride in being part of a growing company’s team of advisors. These traits help her counsel clients at any stage of development, whether the client is a person interested in forming a company, an operating company planning an exit strategy, or anything in between.
Conversant in German, Helen did a stint in international business law during law school at the Bucerius Law School in Hamburg, Germany, and has counseled foreign clients on mergers, acquisitions, and securities transactions. And she’s a master of plain English, too: Helen enjoys explaining complex legal concepts and documents in a way that enables clients to understand the full implications of a transaction before moving forward.
Helen is currently on the Board of Directors of Startup Maine, a non-profit dedicated to elevating Maine’s start-up ecosystem and co-chairs the organizations program committee for the annual summer conference.
But that’s not all. Helen is also very experienced in:
- Providing companies (issuers) with advice and guidance on structuring and conducting offerings in compliance with federal and state securities laws
- Advising issuers and investors on angel and venture capital investment, as well as other early- to mid-stage equity and debt financings
- Drafting offering documents in public and private contexts
- Entity formation, business development, and corporate governance for emerging companies (including technology companies, breweries, and other startups)
In her former life, Helen was:
- Corporate attorney at Brown Rudnick LLP
- Paralegal at Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP
When Helen isn’t working, she is…
Typically outside. In summer, she can often be found tending her vegetable garden. In the winter, she is most definitely alpine skiing with her husband—either as part of a fundraising team for Maine’s WinterKids Downhill 24, or just enjoying the slopes with husband, young son, and their extended family.
JD, Boston College Law School, 2011
BA, Dartmouth College, 2006, cum laude
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Maine State Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association
Cumberland Bar Association
Advisory Board of CEI’s Women’s Business Center
Board of Directors of Startup Maine, Inc.