Meet Hawley, a real estate lawyer who gets the big picture.
207 228-7118 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
Bernstein Shur Board of Directors
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America ®2021
Real Estate Law
- Ranked in Chambers USA (2021) – Real Estate Law
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named a Rising Star by New England Super Lawyers, 2013–2014
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Behind Hawley’s easygoing demeanor you’ll find a savvy strategist who keeps a sharp eye on the bottom line and shares your passion for seeing your business grow and prosper.
Hawley represents landlords, tenants, banks, and real estate developers in a wide variety of commercial and residential projects, from financing to leasing. He regularly handles transactions involving national retail chains, large shopping and lifestyle centers, and financial institutions, but he’s equally at home working with burgeoning entrepreneurs to turn their startups into thriving successes.
Prior to studying law, Hawley worked for the Manhattan PR firm Sloane & Company, where he learned the value of keeping a cool head in high pressure situations. As a result, Hawley acts swiftly and decisively, helping partners and stakeholders quickly reach agreements—and get deals closed.
But that’s not all. Hawley is also very experienced in:
- Acquisition, investment, development, and sale of real estate
- Commercial leases
- Condominiums and planned community developments
- Land use
- Real estate financings, title, and conveyancing
- Wind power projects
In his former life, Hawley was:
- The managing editor for Pace Law Review
- An English-language teacher in Santiago, Chile
- A member of the Bates College varsity soccer team
When Hawley isn’t working, he is…
Most likely spending time with his family, enjoying the great Maine outdoors with his wife Sarah and sons Zachary and Jacob. Skiing at Sugarloaf is one of Hawley’s favorite winter pastimes, but he also loves fly-fishing, golf, hiking, and playing squash. In his spare time, he provides pro bono legal services to the YMCA of Southern Maine.
JD, Pace University School of Law, 2006, cum laude
BA, Bates College, 2000, cum laude
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
American Bar Association
International Council of Shopping Centers
Maine and Massachusetts Bar Associations
Maine Real Estate Development Association