Meet Gordon, an energy-generation authority with a wealth of dispute resolution experience.
207 228-7233 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2024
Oil and Gas Law
- Chambers USA (Band 1- Leading Individual in Energy and Natural Resources) and Super Lawyers
- AV Preeminent® – Martindale-Hubbell
- American Jurisprudence Book Awards in Criminal Procedure and Constitutional Law, Boston University School of Law
- Keasbey Scholar, Trinity College, Cambridge University
- Lizette Bentwich Prize in Law, Trinity College, Cambridge University
- Delta Kappa Epsilon National Leadership Prize
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Gordon has counseled clients in the power generation industry for over three decades, assisting private energy generators, banks, and contractors with matters ranging from insurance and warranty claims to crisis management. As a managing director of the alternative energy consulting firm Stratex Energy, he’s well-versed in the waste-to-energy, pulp and paper, biomass, and ethanol industries, as well as more traditional energy sources like oil and natural gas. He is also a Managing Director of DriveGreen LLC, which connects biomass fuel to transportation.
Formerly practicing in corporate law and litigation, Gordon has extensive experience in dispute resolution. He has represented facility owners and contractors worldwide from Brazil to India to Indonesia, and has served lead roles in several of Maine’s landmark power industry cases, including a 1989 arbitration against General Electric that resulted in one of the then largest litigated recoveries in a construction dispute in the state’s history. With his resolute focus, broad experience, and industry acumen, it’s easy to see why energy companies around the world trust Gordon with their most challenging legal matters.
But that’s not all. Gordon is also very experienced in:
- Issues relating to a wide variety of equipment, including combustion and steam turbines, boilers, condensers, scrubbers, bag houses, and heat recovery steam generators
- Mediation and administrative hearings
- Negotiating and writing power purchase, engineering, procurement, long-term parts and service, and construction contracts
- Insurance recoveries
In his former life, Gordon was:
- Parking cars for the disabled at a race track during college.
When Gordon isn’t working, he is…
Enjoying historic preservation and collecting colonial and federal antiques. He is the former President of Maine Historical Society and of Greater Portland Landmarks and a former Trustee of Bowdoin College and WCBB Public Television.
JD, Boston University, 1975, cum laude
BA, Trinity College, Cambridge University, 1973
AB, Bowdoin College, 1971, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
US District Court, Districts of Maine and New Hampshire
US Court of Appeals, First Circuit
US Supreme Court
Maine State Bar Association New Hampshire Bar Association
American Bar Association
Cumberland County Bar Association