Meet Chris, land use authority and municipal law pro.
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Chris has literally written the book on land use—specifically, two course guides that he coauthored for the National Business Institute. Having spent more than 30 years providing counsel to all types of Maine municipalities, with special focus on zoning and land use, Chris now mentors other members of his practice group and consults on complex cases.
Chris will fight tooth and nail for his clients and is relentless in his pursuit of the best solutions. Case in point: While other lawyers and town officials were discouraged about defending the town of Eliot’s growth control ordinance, Chris stuck to his guns and said, “We can win this case.” Win he did—both the case and a loyal, long-time client.
But that’s not all. Chris is also very experienced in:
- Litigation in all levels of Maine courts, including multiple successes in the Maine Supreme Judicial Court
- Advising municipal officials and boards, particularly planning boards, zoning boards, and code enforcement personnel
- Obtaining land use approvals for property owners and real estate developers at the local, state, and federal levels
- Municipal government, administration, regulatory affairs
- Road and highway laws
In his former life, Chris was:
- A radio news reporter covering local government affairs
- A substitute teacher
- A cab driver
When Chris isn’t working, he is…
Driving an RV down to Florida with his wife. He enjoys reading novels and following politics online. He can also be found volunteering in town government, and serving as moderator for both town and school district meetings.
JD, Harvard Law School, 1981
BA, Suffolk University, 1971, summa cum laude
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
US District Court, Districts of Maine
US Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Maine State Bar Association
Cumberland County Bar Association