Meet Abbey, a dedicated employment lawyer and Title IX independent investigator.
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with her.
As a former Interim Assistant Dean for Upper Class Students at Bowdoin College, Abbey has an insider’s view on the day-to-day complexities of campus life. She also gained practical experience with Title IX policy and procedures and its interaction with the student discipline process. Abbey additionally has legal experience counseling governmental entities and educational institutions on civil rights and special education, and is a trained mediator and Guardian ad litem. Abbey now uses her experience in litigation and her background working directly with students and children to conduct investigations for educational institutions and sports entities faced with responding to allegations of sexual abuse and harassment. She is an ASAP Title IX and FETI certified civil rights investigator specifically trained in trauma informed investigation techniques, and is also an approved sexual misconduct investigator by United Educators.
Abbey has a particular interest in Restorative Justice and is participating in extensive training and education regarding the use of this practice in response to sexual harm. She approaches every engagement with an open mind and open ears, and stresses fairness, both sides’ right to be heard, and the importance of an equitable, thoughtful and thorough process—ensuring that all involved feel that they have had a meaningful opportunity to be heard on what are often difficult and deeply personal events.
But that’s not all. Abbey is also very experienced in:
- Providing counsel on student discipline, employee nonrenewal/dismissal, and the constraints posed by collective bargaining agreements and academic tenure
- Drafting policies, handbooks, and manuals for education professionals
- Counseling clients on the IDEA, ADA, and Rehabilitation Act
- Harassment, libel, and invasion of privacy law
In her former life, Abbey was:
- Interim Assistant Dean for Upperclass Students at Bowdoin College
- A lawyer at another Portland-based law firm
- A paralegal / investigator with the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice
- Law clerk to the Honorable D. Brock Hornby & the Honorable George Z. Singal for U.S. District Court, District of Maine
When Abbey isn’t working, she is…
Capturing beautiful photos of her kids enjoying life in Maine, open-water swimming, and walking local trails with her Labrador retriever.
JD, Yale Law School
AB, Bowdoin College, summa cum laude
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Governance Counsel, Freeport, Pownal and Durham Education Foundation
Proud Corporate Partner of: