Practical solutions for public sector clients during the COVID-19 crisis.
The COVID-19 public health crisis has already changed the way local governments can operate. Municipalities—and the businesses, not-for-profit organizations, and taxpayers who interact with them—are faced with both immediate and long-term challenges, from how to conduct public meetings or what emergency powers can be exercised in a pandemic, to crafting economic development programs to aid local businesses, or assisting with refinancing outstanding debt obligations.
Our experienced Municipal & Governmental Services Practice Group is here to help. One of the largest groups of its kind in the region, our team of nationally recognized and knowledgeable attorneys will guide clients through every kind of COVID-19-related question. By continuously monitoring and staying up to date with rapidly evolving and changing federal and state actions taken in response to COVID-19, we provide clear advice and practical solutions rooted in a 360-degree understanding of municipal and public sector issues.
Let us know how we can assist you:
- Interpret federal and state statutes and executive orders enacted in response to COVID-19 to determine how they affect local governance and whether they provide resources to municipalities.
- Analyze existing municipal ordinances and charters to provide advice on emergency measures that can be employed at the local level.
- Provide counsel on how to conduct regular municipal business despite the constraints presented by the pandemic.
- Plan remote public meetings to ensure legal compliance while anticipating and preparing for technological issues.
- Advise on how tax increment financing (TIF) can be used to provide financial support to local businesses.
- Identify disclosure obligations for municipal bond issuers in light of COVID-19.
- Anticipate how COVID-19 will impact local property taxes, including identifying what immediate steps assessors and taxpayers should take to ensure property is fairly and equitably assessed. Visit our Property Tax and Valuation page here.
- Navigate enforcement actions and other municipal litigation with court closures and deadline delays due to COVID-19.