Meet Rick, real estate law mastermind and renewable energy visionary.
207 228-7228 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
Green Building Team
- Ranked in Chambers USA (2014) and Best Lawyers in America for his work in real estate
- Volunteer of the Year, Maine Real Estate and Developers’ Association (2006)
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Calling Rick an authority on real estate law is putting it mildly. In addition to spending nearly two decades working in title insurance, he’s served as an expert witness in real estate and title insurance disputes, is a frequent lecturer at the Bar Association, and has been a referee in real estate cases in the Maine Superior Court.
Couple this wealth of knowledge and experience with Rick’s passion for analyzing problems and coming up with inventive solutions, and it’s easy to see why when the going gets tough, the tough get Rick on their side.
To top it all off, Rick has also been at the forefront of the “green” building movement since its inception. He was the first lawyer in Maine to become a US Green Building Council LEED Accredited Professional, and he’s a member of Bernstein Shur’s Green Building Team, so he’s ready to help you execute those environmentally-friendly developments you’ve been dreaming of.
But that’s not all. Rick is also very experienced in:
- Shopping center and retail leases, acquisitions, and development
- Complex title issues
- Mediating real estate and land use matters
- Serving as liaison between the Maine Title Standards Committee and the Maine GeoLibrary Board’s GIS and land records integration project
In his former life, Rick:
- Had his own practice in Bath, Maine, working on everything from radio station acquisition to Section 8 development
- Spent 19 years serving as vice president, manager, or state and regional counsel for various title insurance companies, including Lawyers Title, Ticor Title, Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company, and Chicago Title Insurance Company
When Rick isn’t working, he is…
Serving as president of the Hydrogen Energy Center, a nonprofit he founded in 1994 to support the advancement of renewable hydrogen energy. He also loves all things nautical: sailing, rowing, and zipping through the Maine Island Trail on a small power boat.
JD, Boston University School of Law, 1973
AB, Bowdoin College, 1969
Admitted to practice
States of Maine and New Hampshire
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Maine State Bar Association
New Hampshire Bar Association
Hydrogen Energy Center (Founder and President)