Meet Phil, transactional and financings authority, and happy to take you fly fishing or bicycling.
207 228-7290 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America for corporate law
- Ranked AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Seeking someone to guide you, from planning to closing, through acquisitions, financings, secured transactions, commercial contracts and more? Look no further.
With over three decades of experience handling tax-exempt financings and some of Maine’s largest transactions, Phil has not only represented numerous lenders and borrowers, but he has also established long-standing working relationships with the Finance Authority of Maine and the Maine Health and Higher Educational Facilities Authority. He’s got the know-how and the grit to help you successfully navigate almost any kind of thorny transaction from Point A to Point B.
But that’s not all. Phil is also very experienced in:
- Representing borrowers and lenders in financings
- Advising bond issuers through the authorization and sale of private activity bonds, including tax-exempt 501(c)(3) financings
- The financing and commercial aspects of hydro, biomass, gas, and waste disposal facilities
- The purchase and sale of energy projects, including hydro facilities in Maine and New Hampshire
In his former life, Phil was:
- A law clerk for the Honorable Thomas E. Delahanty of the Supreme Judicial Court of Maine
- A member and chairperson of both the Cumberland Planning Board and Town Council
When Phil isn’t working, he is…
Staying active in his church; serving as a trustee of Bangor Theological Seminary, now known as The BTS Center; listening to classical music; cooking; collecting wine; and participating in various sports, including skiing, fly fishing, and road cycling. He has recently ridden his bike up some of the major climbs on the Tour de France. Phil and his wife Mary Schendel (who is also an attorney) have two grown children and are longtime residents of Cumberland, Maine.
JD, University of Virginia, 1975
BA, Oberlin College, 1970, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
US District Court, District of Maine
Maine State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Cumberland County Bar Association
National Association of Bond Lawyers
Trustee (and former Board Chair), The BTS Center