Meet Pat, accomplished regulatory litigator and advocate for renewable energy.
207 228-7201 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
Bernstein Shur Board of Directors
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA, and Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Pat is the CEO of Bernstein Shur and has represented the firm’s energy clients for over 25 years, providing earnest, dedicated counsel to developers and owners of all forms of generation, from wind and solar to hydroelectric and natural gas, as well as wholesale and retail electricity suppliers. With a background in litigation and 10 years spent at the helm of the firm’s municipal practice, he’s an especially qualified and compelling representative for his clients in local and state regulatory matters, including regulation of electricity, natural gas, telecommunications, and water. Pat doesn’t just demystify complex regulatory issues for his clients; he also works with regulators to help them better understand and empathize with his clients’ issues. More often than not, his approach generates win-win solutions that ensure his clients’ success.
Pat is also highly practiced in contract negotiation, assisting clients with everything from interconnection and transmission agreements to contracts for the retail and wholesale purchase and sale of energy products. A steadfast advocate for renewable energy, he’s proud to have contributed to an industry that has brought increased investment, jobs, and clean energy to Maine.
But that’s not all. Pat is also very experienced in:
- Representing clients before Maine’s Public Utilities Commission
- Responses to competitive solicitations, such as standard offer service
- Assisting energy clients, including electricity suppliers and facility owners and developers, with rulemaking and regulatory compliance
- Representing developers, facility owners, customers, towns, and special districts in utility regulatory matters, including the regulation of electricity, gas, water, and telecommunications
In his former life, Pat was:
- Pat has been part of Bernstein Shur for more than 32 years—his entire legal career.
When Pat isn’t working, he is…
Taking the stage as the lead in a musical theater production, as well as serving as the President of the Board of the Maine State Music Theatre. He’s also an active lector at his church and tries to find just about any reason to be outdoors: biking, skiing, and hiking are among his favorites.
JD, Maine School of Law, 1984, magna cum laude
BA, Dartmouth College, 1979
Admitted to practice
State of Maine
US District Court, District of Maine
Maine State Bar Association
Cumberland County Bar Association
American Bar Association