Meet Ari, a dedicated business counselor and former nonprofit executive.
207 228-7146 direct
207 774-1200 main
207 774-1127 facsimile
100 Middle Street
PO Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
Global Consulting & Talent Revenue Strategies
Nonprofit and Tax Exempt
- 2015 Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Awards in Business & Commercial Law and Labor & Employment Law, University of Maine School of Law
- 2015 Law School Alumni Association Award, University of Maine School of Law
- Bernstein Shur 2016 Barnett I. Shur Civic Award
Here’s why you’ll enjoy working with him.
Having provided more than a decade of executive leadership in the performing arts, Ari offers a nuanced appreciation for the many legal and business issues that face businesses, nonprofits, and creative clients. With this unique perspective, Ari focuses his practice on tax-exempt organizations, entertainment law, copyrights, and music licensing. Ari is also the author of The Tune Kit, a one-stop music licensing resource for business owners that need to license music from the performing rights organizations (ASCAP / BMI / SESAC / GMR).
Whether stewarding general corporate transactions or legal compliance within a broader strategic framework, Ari provides reasoned and practical guidance to help his clients realize their business goals. He counsels clients in a wide range of areas, including the nonprofit, music, publishing, literary, health care and telecommunications industries. As a Consulting Advisor for Bernstein Shur World Stage Advisors, LLC, Ari also provides consulting services to creative clients seeking assistance with branding, endorsements, and revenue-growth strategies.
Prior to studying law, Ari worked in the classical music industry, where he served as Executive Vice President of The Philadelphia Orchestra, and before that, Executive Director of the Portland and Pensacola Symphonies. Drawing on this depth of experience, Ari is equally comfortable managing complex transactions with multiple stakeholders as he is working one-on-one with exceptionally talented and widely-recognized artists.
In recognition of his exemplary community service, Ari was awarded Bernstein Shur’s 2016 Barnett I. Shur Civic Award.
But that’s not all. Ari is also very experienced in:
- Corporate and nonprofit formations and governance best practices
- Navigating the process for obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status
- Copyright clearance, registration, transfers, licensing, and protection
In his former life, Ari was:
- Executive Vice President of The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Executive Director of the Portland (Maine) Symphony Orchestra
- Executive Director of the Pensacola Symphony Orchestra
- A member of the 2010 class of the Aspen Institute Fellowship for Emerging Nonprofit Leaders
- A graduate of the Executive Leadership and Orchestra Management Fellowship programs of the League of American Orchestras
- A Judicial Intern for Justice Jon D. Levy of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court and for Peter Fessenden, the standing Chapter 13 bankruptcy trustee for the District of Maine
- A Judicial Extern with Judge Kermit Lipez of the First Circuit Court of Appeals
When Ari isn’t working, he is…
Volunteering as a Board member with Arco Collaborative and the Maine Justice Foundation, spending time with his family, or learning to play the piano again.
JD, University of Maine School of Law, 2015, magna cum laude
Managing Editor, Maine Law Review
BA, Classical Languages, University of California, Berkeley, 2002
Admitted to Practice
State of Maine
American Bar Association (Vice Chair, Forum on Sports and Entertainment Law, Theater and Performing Arts Division)
Maine State Bar Association