Build your mission.
We represent a diverse section of leading nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations, from small public charities to major private foundations.
View our attorneys in this practice
With our depth of experience in tax and governance, we provide comprehensive planning and legal services to nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations at all stages of the business life cycle. Whatever your size, our goal remains the same—to help organizations achieve their mission.
Our expertise in the federal tax code allows us to work both on the national and regional scale. We take a boots-on-the ground approach to handle everyday tax-exempt matters, such as structuring grant transactions, preparing property tax exemption applications and building the infrastructure behind local political efforts.
We routinely counsel clients including:
- Startup and large public charities
- Social welfare, political, cultural, and religious organizations
- Corporate and private family foundations
- Universities, hospitals, and healthcare organizations
- Trade associations, business leagues and social clubs
- Low-income housing organizations and governmental instrumentalities
- Special-purpose nonprofits
Not only are we well-versed in the substance of the law facing nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations, we also have experience serving in executive and volunteer leadership capacities. Our team members all know first-hand what is takes to manage and guide nonprofit organizations to success. This collective experience allows us to go beyond simply providing legal advice; it enables us to give real insight, and then make it work for your stakeholders, all with the appreciation for the economies of nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations.
The result? We deliver practical, cost-effective counsel to decision-makers so they can better guide a nonprofit’s constituents.
We regularly advise clients on:
- Formation considerations and preparation of applications for tax-exempt status
- Strategic planning
- Regulatory compliance
- Business transactions and contracting
- Executive compensation
- Board development and governance principles
- Tax planning for tax-exempt organizations
- Property tax exemption and sales and use tax compliance
- Joint ventures, for-profit subsidiaries, and other taxable entities
- Private inurement and private benefit issues
- Unrelated business activities and unrelated business income
- Restructuring, reorganization, mergers and acquisitions